Tuesday, October 9, 2012

To Love Like Jesus - John 13




I have loved you with an everlasting love;
    I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.
Jeremiah 31:3

"Jesus loves me this I know. For the Bible tells me so..."

Jesus loves me. 

This is a fact ingrained in the very marrow of our beings. From the time we are small children, barely speaking or crawling, we know that Jesus loves us. We read it in the Bible. We hear it in the words of music. We feel it when we step into a church filled with the Holy Spirit. 

Jesus loves me.

But how do I love Jesus?

I was chatting with a friend yesterday and through our conversation it dawned on me that we are always focused on how Jesus, how the world, how our friends or our family love us. 
Am I being fulfilled?
Am I being loved enough?
Am I getting what I need?

And Jesus loves us to the point of overflowing. He loves us through everything in our lives and regardless of how we love him back. Jesus does not put any conditions on his love. He doesn't ask:
Am I being fulfilled?
Am I being loved enough?
Am I getting what I need?

Jesus doesn't ask those questions - he simply loves us with "an everlasting love". 

But I am not sure I always love Jesus with the same passion.

All too often I love him with an after-thought love rather than a primary passionate love. 
I become too consumed by my needs, wants and desires to ever ask him what he wants from me, even though he told all of us what he expects:

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
John 13:34-35

Jesus commands us to love as he loves. 
He wants us to love without expecting anything in return.
He wants us to love without worrying about being fulfilled or being loved enough or getting what we need.
He wants us to love unconditionally and to trust that whatever we are missing from the love of other human beings will be made complete in him. 

We are to trust his love to be everything we need.
And we are called to love as purely and selflessly as he loves us.

Love without boundaries.
Love without expecations.
This is how Jesus loves.

He loves without expecting anything in return.

Scripture

Question of the Day
How can you make loving unconditionally a consistent part of your life?

Quote of the Day
The greatest gift that you can give to others is the gift of unconditional love and acceptance.
Brian Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment