Saturday, September 14, 2013

Asking Why....

 
 
How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hid your face from me? How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart?
...But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.
(Psalm 13: 1-2, 5)
 
My Grandma Hilbert was 94 years old when she passed from this life to the next one, and she used to say that God forgot about her. She said it was because she was so ornery. I used to tell her that it was because God still had more for her to do.
 
Do you ever feel like God can’t see you – or that He forgot you?
The feeling is pretty common when you are going through a difficult situation or struggle.
Why would a good and gracious God allow you to endure strife?
Doesn’t God know you need Him to intervene?
In David’s 13th Psalm poses these same questions…thousands of years later each of us is struggling with similar obstacles to grace that David faced. None of us is that different from a king – a man after God’s own heart – who sought guidance and protection from God. A king who faced struggles, defeats, anxiety, depression, chaos, hatred, abuse, illness, death, pain….nearly every difficulty a human being could face.
 If you compare your situation to David’s – how different are you?
Have you faced something David hasn’t? Likely, not, but what makes you different than the shepherd boy who became king?
David was brave enough to go before God and ask Him, “Why?
 
All too often, we are afraid to question God – to ask him when He will intervene – when He will take the struggle – the pain – away.
 We fear questioning God for a few different reasons:
1.       The answer. If we ask God, “Why aren’t you helping me through this? Why aren’t you solving my problem?”, we may hear Him say, “I’m not solving the problem because you need to press through this difficult time so that you will be prepared for a more difficult situation down the road.” Well, no one wants to hear God say that the problem you are facing today is just preparing you for a bigger problem in six months, six years or six decades! We live in a culture of quick fixes and microwave meals. We don’t want to hear we have to work through a problem – but more often than not – that is exactly what we need to do.
 2.       The consequence. Sometimes, the difficult situation we find ourselves in is as a result of a poor choice we have made. And God allows us to endure the punishment to help teach us not to make the same mistake. A bummer – I know – but the mess you make is the one you have to clean up.
3.       No answer. When we seek the “why” we aren’t guaranteed that God will respond. Perhaps you aren’t ready to hear the answer. Perhaps the answer to why is another tragedy. Perhaps the why is simply – because…not a great answer. As a person of faith, you need to be willing to be okay with no answer. Now, this doesn’t mean you can’t keep asking – God is okay with the questions  - because it means you are seeking a relationship with Him – but you must also be okay with silence as your answer.
 
“In this world you will have trouble…” (John 16:33)
“I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. (2 Corinthians 12: 7-8)
 
Trials are a part of this life. You can’t get away from them. You will always have difficult situations, but you can be assured that God will be with you:
But take heart! I have overcome the world. (John 16:33)
 God created you…
He created this world…
He allowed the bad to happen…
And He WILL rescue from it…In His time.
So…what can you do to wait for your salvation?
“But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the LORD for he has been good to me.” Psalm 13: 5-6
 
Scripture
 
GUMY Challenge:
FINAL ANSWER!!!!!
Mustard Seed
 
Don't forget to collect all 14 answers and bring them with you next week for GUMY....
 
You will need them.
 
GUMY is Sunday September 22nd!!!!!
 
BRING A FRIEND (or seven!)
XOXO
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment