Monday, July 30, 2012

John 6:25-59 Bread of Life



For the bread of God is the bread that comes down from heaven(N) and gives life to the world.”
John 6:33

I love bread.

I love to eat it. I love to make it. I love the smell of it baking.

Bread - whether in a basket on a table in a restaurant or in a case at supermarket or in a bag at my house - always makes we want to eat it. I truly hunger for bread - even when I am not hungry at all.

When I think about Jesus using bread as an analogy for the mission God had sent him to complete, it makes perfect sense to me.

Bread was - and still is today - a staple for most meals served in most homes around the world.

Bread is a basic building block for how we live our lives.

Bread provides nourishment and energy.

Bread is relatable.

Jesus was offering us all of these things and so much more in his sacrifice on our behalves.

Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes  in me will never be thirsty.  But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. All those the Father gives mewill come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.  For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me.(And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”
John 6: 35-40

Jesus wasn't simply offering us bread - made of flour, water, yeast and salt - he was offering life - his life.

When we eat bread, we are energized, but only for a short while.

When we take in and know - truly feast on the Bread of Life Jesus - we are never hungry - except for the hunger to know him more.

Jesus was offering his followers the opportunity of eternal life and he used the simple image of bread to try and help explain the tremendous gift to his people.

Some believed and were drawn to him. Some couldn't understand his message and turned away.

Today - 2,000+ years later the same holds true.

Some believe Jesus and accept his offer of life giving bread, while others cannot accept the most amazing gift every offered because it seems too simple - eternal life without doing anything but accepting the gift.

So the question for you and for me today is - will you go hungryor will you feast on the Bread of Life and never hunger again?

Scripture


 Quote of the Day
“The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread.”

 Mother Teresa

Question of the Day

When have you shared the Bread of Life this week? 




No comments:

Post a Comment