Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Finding the Patience of God



Patience.

Wow... I know Paul writes that it is a part of the fruit of the spirit and King Solomon wrote that wisdom leads to patience, but on a regular basis I feel like patience is a gift I will never receive.

There are several, slightly different definitions to patience:
1. the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like. 
2.an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay
3.quiet, steady perseverance; even-tempered care; diligence:

Hm mm... I don't know about you, but each of these definitions convicts me. I rarely display any of these qualities - I often complain about delays; I can be quick to lose my temper; I can become annoyed when life doesn't go according to my plan; And even when I persevere I tend to complain in the midst of pressing on!

Despite all of my failings, I still have a deep desire to be a person of patience; to be someone who reflects God's care with the world.

Can you imagine if God displayed our level of patience?
How would He react to the mistakes and the sin we fall into everyday?

God's patience is much deeper than any one person's, but it isn't infinite. He suffers through our missteps, misdirections, and misguided judgements. He endures our follies, failures, and fallacies.

But, He has told us that one day He will judge the world. His patience - His suppression of annoyance and temper - will run out and He will come to judge.

Until that day, we are called to live our lives reflective of the love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, self-control, goodness and faithfulness this is the fruit of the Holy Spirit of God living within each of us.

Some days we will be better at persevering in spite of our condition and some days we will lose our tempers. Thankfully everyday, God will forgive each of us in spite of our missteps in patience.

I am so thankful that God's patience well is SIGNIFICANTLY deeper than mine.

Scripture

Quote of the Day

“Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears.”
Barbara Johnson

Question of the Day

When have you been able to show patience in the midst of adversity?

No comments:

Post a Comment