Friday, February 24, 2012

Hearing God's Plans ... Even When His Voice is Silent...



A few years ago, I was living in a loft downtown. The owner of the loft decided to sell the condo and gave me the initial opportunity to buy the space.

The loft was pretty awesome. It had high ceilings, huge windows that looked out onto Front Street, just down from Nationwide Arena, underground parking and a dishwasher. What more could I want?

I talked the idea of ownership over with my parents, my friends, my coworkers and people at church, but something about the decision didn't settle well with me. Everything seemed to point toward buying this condo...everything except this nagging feeling in my stomach that it was the wrong decision.

One night, a few weeks into the decision process, I was awoken by a "tinkling" sound. My bed was situated next to the small utility room which housed the furnace and air conditioner so I assumed this was where the noise had originated. I pushed myself up from the bed and padded over to the door, popping my head inside the room to listen for the noise. But inside the furnace was silent.

I closed the door and could still hear the faint rattle and began a frantic search for the source of the noise. I went to the window to see if the large blinds were being disturbed by outside wind and then made my way to the bathroom to see if the toilet was acting up - but no noise.

I walked into the kitchen thinking it was the refrigerator when I glanced at a plaque the size of a business card which hung by my front door. It was moving slightly back and forth and was generating a small "tap-tap-tap" against the wall. I walked over to the plaque and rested my hand against it and it stopped moving. In that moment I knew I wasn't supposed to buy my apartment and I was overwhelmed with God's presence in that moment.

The plaque read, "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11.

Sometimes God shares His plans for our lives in direct communication - the burning bush for Moses, the fight with Jacob, the road to Damascus for Paul - and sometimes He shares His plans through nudges, whispers and "gut feelings".

When we are fully living in the presence of God, trusting Him and asking Him into every moment of our lives, His voice, His nudge, even His whisper, will become more clear and tangible in our lives. By living with our focus on Him first, we will be blessed with hearing even His littlest whisper.

God knows the plans He has for you...
If you want let in on those plans you will need to seek to include Him in your every day life and you choose to learn more about Him through spending time in His Word.

Scripture

Quote of the Day

"God has a plan for all of us, but He expects us to do our share of the work."
Minnie Pearl

Question of the Day

When have you heard God's call?

GUMY this Sunday, February 26th!!!!! Bring a Friend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment