Friday, July 19, 2013

John 7 - Overcoming the Doubters and the Haters (updated)



Jesus' brothers said to him, "You should leave here and go to Judea. Then your disciples will see the kinds of things you do. No one who wants to be well known does things in secret. Since you are doing these things, show yourself to the world." Even Jesus' own brothers did not believe in him.

John 7:3-5

Can you imagine knowing, beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are right?
 Knowing that you are doing all of the right things for all of right reasons, and yet no one - not even your family - believes you?

Would you feel discouraged?
Would you be frustrated - angry even?
Would you be a little depressed?

In the seventh chapter of the book of John we see Jesus facing a time in his earthly ministry when he was surrounded by doubters and haters.

Many of his disciples had abandoned him and he returned to his family for the Festival of the Booths - a time in the Jewish celebratory calendar where the Jews remember their time in the wilderness and thank God for his blessings (Leviticus 23:34,42).

My image of Jesus's heart is one of a tender sadness as I read John 7. I don't recall ever seeing him challenged in such away - outside of the Holy Week.

Some believe he is the Christ - but then they question his lineage- is he really of the House of David? Some are amazed by his teaching - but how could he know so much without being educated?
Some believe he is good and right - while others thinking he is tricking his followers.

I imagine that Jesus - who loved these people with the overwhelming love straight from The Father - was deeply saddened by the lack of belief - by the overwhelming number of doubters and haters.

In my mind I hear the sigh of frustration as he is teaching on one day during the festival when he says, "Stop judging only by what you see. Judge correctly." (John 7:24)

Stop judging only by what you see...

I think he was saying to them - and even to us today - Open your heart and you will KNOW.

Belief isn't knowing what we see. Belief is knowing what we cannot see.

How frustrated must he have been with those who had witnessed his miracles first hand - those who had been in his presence ~ truly been in the presence of God on Earth ~ and yet questioned who he was.

Jesus was still teaching in the temple courtyard. He cried out, "Yes, you know me. And you know where I am from. I am not here on my own. The One who sent me is true. You do not know him. But I know him. I am from him, and he sent me."
John 7:28-29

These people could see, hear and touch Jesus and yet, they didn't truly know him. They knew where he was raised. They knew his mom. They even knew of his miracles.
But they didn't truly know him because they did not know the One - God the Father - who had sent him.

When we come to know Jesus - to truly know Jesus - we know God. They are one in the same.

I can sense Jesus's frustration with those he ministered - the doubters and the haters - even the sometimes believers.

And yet, despite his frustration, his love for each of them was so great he laid down his life for each of them and for each of us so that one day - we can say:

 "I know him. I have seen him with my heart."

Scripture


Quote of the Day

 It's a great feeling when you have a lot of doubters and you prove them wrong.
Joakim Noah, NBA Basketball Player

Question of the Day

When have you felt the oppostition of people not believing in you?


GUMY CHALLENGE - Clue # 8

The answer to this week's clue is what Emmanuelle says is "her job" in her posting...it is ALL of our jobs.
Check out this YouTube Clip


No comments:

Post a Comment