Saturday, July 27, 2013

Jesus is your friend ... Are you his? (Catch Up GUMY Challenge Week)

 
 
I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.
John 15:15
 



When I was about four years old I remember walking down the hall of the education wing of church and seeing a little girl with dark hair wearing a frilly white dress standing near the nursery. Being the shy girl I am – I made a beeline to her, shoved my hand in her direction, and said, “My name’s Courtney. What’s yours?” She placed her hand in mine and gave a shy smile and said, “Mandy.” With that clumsy handshake a friendship that has spanned three decades was born.

Over the last thirty years, Mandy and I have shared countless birthdays, sleep-overs, late night telephone calls, weeping hugs over heart brakes and weeping hugs over new loves. We’ve developed a deep understanding, respect, trust and unconditional love for each other.
 
We have friendship.
It wasn’t created in breath or overnight – but it has taken years of devotion, dedication and desire to
build.
 
Friendship – deep in your bones, call-you-at-3-in-the-morning-because-my-car-broke-down

friendship – is fostered through time.

Unfortunately, our culture has reduced friendship to a single click on a website. We talk about friends based on the number we have, rather than the relationship – I have 292 friends, 1,490 friends, 200,000 friends. Today, your friends are distinguished based on the quantity rather than the quality.

But, I wonder if Mark Zuckerberg, the founder of facebook, would call all of his 1.5 million friends if he found out his mother had cancer, or if his wife just announced she was pregnant with their first child, or if the business he created was crashing down around his ears? Or would he call one? 

In John 15:15 Jesus says, I know longer call you servants because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead I have called you friends, for everything that I have learned from my Father, I have made known to you.

Jesus calls us into friendship; not just the duty of servanthood, but a relationship that is deep and abiding. Before he sacrificed himself on the cross, he made a greater sacrifice in leaving heaven and his Father’s side just so he could be in a relationship with you and me. He gave up heaven just so he could be your friend.

Do you know Jesus the friend? Or is he more of a facebook follower – one you click on Sundays but disregard Monday through Saturday?

Jesus desperately wants your friendship – he’s given the time and dedication to it – he’s given his very life for it. Are you willing to take the time to get to know him - as more than a savior - but also as your friend?
 
Quote
“The dearest friend on earth is a mere shadow compared to Jesus Christ.”
 Oswald Chambers
 
Scripture
 
GUMY Summer Challenge....
 
No challenge question this week...
 
Be sure to check through previous weeks to catch up.
 
Last Week's Answer: One Job - is to Love Everyone!
 
XOXO Courtney
 

No comments:

Post a Comment