Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Being Bold Enough to Ask....


Have you ever made a request - asked for something - that changed the course of your whole life?

When I was a sophomore in college, I asked to live in Washington, DC for a semester.I was a little afraid to ask my parents and my school to let me go, but I knew that the semester was an opportunity I had to try. In five months my whole view of the world and myself changed. The journey to DC led me to Oxford and to my summer internship with a fashion retailer which led to my first job out of college and to the job I am in today....and that job led me to stay in Columbus, which led me to my calling to be a youth leader. All because I asked with a motivation to experience something new - my entire world was transformed.

One request, one decision can change your whole life....sometimes you must be bold enough to ask.

Imagine you are Moses...God has spoken to you through a burning bush; He has called you to lead His people out of slavery; You have witnessed His miracles through the plagues and the parting of the Red Sea. Pretty much, God has been moving in and through your life in mighty powerful ways. And now you are in the wilderness...God has taken care of His people...and you are on your way to the Promised Land (maybe by way of 40 years wandering in the desert...but it's there).

So now what do you do?

Do you kick back and think, "Job well done, Moses...Got those kids out of Egypt...I'm good to go...." and wipe your hands of your calling?

Probably not....

You are Moses...you know the power of seeking out God in all things. You know the power of asking God to be present. You have heard God's message in an audible voice and have witnessed His miracles first hand.

And you want more...because from the first day when God spoke to you from a burning bush you were on fire with a desire to know God more...to experience more of God...

And so when God tells you He is pleased with you, and that He will do whatever you ask of Him, you make the ultimate request...

“Now show me your glory.”  (Exodus 33:18)

Moses made a BIG request...no one could see the face of God and live. But Moses chose to be bold and ask God for the unthinkable out of a pure heart to know Him more.

God granted Moses request, because He recognized Moses' deep desire to be as close as He possibly could be to God. And Moses was never the same.

You don't have to be Moses to boldly seek God's calling in your life. God wants you to come before Him and seek His face...to seek His calling for your life.

Maybe He is calling you to be a friend to the kid sitting by himself at lunch or maybe God is calling you to play on a team that will lose every game, but He wants you to be the voice of optimism. Maybe God is calling you to mentor someone or to simply be the quiet example of respect in your classroom.

You won't know what God is asking of you until you boldly go to Him and ask.

Moses wouldn't have seen God's Glory if he didn't ask.

One request, asked with a pure heart can change your life - you just have to be bold enough to ask.

And once you ask...be bold enough to change your life forever.




(Cool Video - Show Me Your Glory - by Third Day)


Scripture: (click on the link below)


Fun Fact:

 Children laugh about 400 times a day, while adults laugh on average only 15 times a day.

I think we should take Jesus' advice, and be like the little children!

Question of the Day:

What is the best (or worst) knock-knock joke you know?


(Want to Dig Deeper into the lesson from Sunday Night....Check out the "Digging Deeper" page for more insight...

No comments:

Post a Comment