Monday, January 9, 2012

Hello, Goodbye and a Lesson in Theology from The Beatles


"You say goodbye and I say hello"
Hello, Goodbye by the Beatles

The Beatles wrote the song “Hello, Goodbye”. It might seem nonsensical to most, always answering the opposite of the person you are with, but as I listen to the lyrics I am struck by the theology which rests in the words.

You say "Yes", I say "No".
You say "Stop" and I say "Go, go, go".
Oh no.
You say "Goodbye" and I say "Hello, hello, hello".
I don't know why you say "Goodbye", I say "Hello, hello, hello".
I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello.
I say "High", you say "Low".
You say "Why?" And I say "I don't know".
Oh no.
You say "Goodbye" and I say "Hello, hello, hello".
I don't know why you say "Goodbye", I say "Hello, hello, hello".
You say "Yes", I say "No".
(I say "Yes", but I may mean "No").
You say "Stop", I say "Go, go, go".
(I can stay still it's time to go).
Oh, oh no.
You say "Goodbye

As Christians, we often are contradictions to the logical things of life. We have eternal life. We believe that we cannot earn our salvation – it was a gift. We believe that we should love everyone as we love ourselves.

Goodbye holds a sense of finality.
With the phrase we are closing a door, leaving for what could be forever.

Hello holds promise for the beginning of something.
We say hello when we first see or talk to someone; there is almost a sense of anticipation and excitement in the word.

As Christians, we never have to say good-bye. We have the promise from Jesus that he has prepared a place for us to be with him for eternity.

My Father’s house has many rooms… And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
John 14:2-3

Even as we ponder death, our concern should not be for good-bye rather our joy should be in the hello we will have with Jesus and with all of the saints who have gone before us.

No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. 5 There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever.
Revelation 22:3-5

Hello. Goodbye.

The world will always see the end in what we see as only the beginning.

 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
Revelation 22:12-13

Scripture

Quote of the Day

A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them. Leonard Louis Levinson

Question of the Day

What give you the greatest hope for tomorrow today? 

1 comment: