Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Learning Love through Grandmas & Grandpas




Everyday, I miss my grandparents. I only knew three of four, but they all impacted my life in dramatically different ways.

My Grandma Hilbert was sweet and gentle. She was the kind of grandma who made you cookies and your favorite meal and showed her love through her actions.

My Grandpa Brownie was kindhearted. He was always quick with a hug and an "I love you, honey bunch". He taught me the most when I just sat beside him.

My Grandma Thelma was disciplined and strong. She was the grandma who told you when you were messing up and how you could do something better. And, she was pretty much always right. When she gave you praise, you felt like you'd won the Olympic Gold Medal, a Nobel Prize and an Oscar all in one.

I loved each of them - and still love them today. They all taught me how to love and showed me different facets of how God loves me.

When I think of each of them a smile always crosses my lips. I can still smell my Grandma Hilbert's scalloped corn and hear my Grandpa Brownie's laugh. But with Grandma Thelma I still feel her approval when I know I have done something to make her proud - and I still feel her disappointment when I have erred in judgement.

The same type of love emotion runs true for me when I think about God. His love is sweet and gentle and always quick with a hug and an "I love you"; But it also can be laced with sadness when I have disappointed Him by choosing against His will.

God's love for each of us transcends mere mortal love. He is every aspect and nature of love. He has high standards for each of us and He is disappointed when we do not meet them. But He is always quick to forgive, helping us to move past our mistakes.

We learn to love through the people around us, but they are only small tidbits of the grandiose love God has for us. When you are with those you love, remember that God is there too. He is loving you through your mom and dad; through your grandma and grandpa; through your aunts and uncles; through your friends.

God's love encompasses all of their love for you - and so much more.

Scripture


Quote of the Day

Perhaps the feelings that we experience when we are in love represent a normal state. Being in love shows a person who he should be.
Anton Chekhov

Question of the Day

How have you experienced love?

No comments:

Post a Comment