Monday, January 16, 2012

Worship - Being Found By God



Worship.
By definition, worship is to feel an adoring reverence or regard. 

When you go to a worship service on Sunday morning, evening or Wednesday night - what attitude goes before you? What attitude do you bring with you? Do you go into service with the attitude of adoration and reverence? Do you allow the Spirit of God to fill you?

Give praise to the LORD, proclaim his name;
   make known among the nations what he has done.
Sing to him, sing praise to him;
   tell of all his wonderful acts.
Glory in his holy name;
   let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice.
Psalm 105:1-3

Do you have this attitude going into worship; an attitude which is ALL about God and what He has done - how He has created the glorious wonders of the world?

Or is your attitude more self focused? When you walk into worship are you worried about all of the details of the service itself? Do you wonder if the sermon or homily will "speak to you"? Do you become annoyed when the music isn't "your style"?

With blunt honesty, I often find myself falling into the latter category. I can become so inundated with the pieces and parts of a worship service or of the workings of the church that my heart and my mind are not centered on the ONE thing I should be focused on: Worshipping God. That's it. That is all worship is supposed to be about - not whether or not I get something from the sermon or if the music is my taste or if the PowerPoint is engaging.

Worship - our corporate worship - is all about bringing the Body of Christ together to lift praise to God, to remember all of the wondrous things He has done and to learn a little more about how we can seek Him better in our everyday lives.

I know I want to be a worshipper who says:
Look to the LORD and his strength;
   seek his face always. Remember the wonders he has done...
Psalm 105:4-5

This is what true worship is about - - seeking God.

This week - as we focus on the ins and the outs of every day living, let us take time to settle our hearts and seek God. Worship isn't just about Sunday morning...worship is about seeking God, because He promises us:
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the LORD
Jeremiah 29:13-24

What a glorious gift of worship - to be found by God!

Scripture

Quote of the Day
"The whole person, with all his senses, with both mind and body, needs to be
involved in genuine worship."
Jerry Kearns

Question of the Day

When have you been "in worship" in the last week?

No comments:

Post a Comment