Friday, January 6, 2012

Living by Faith...Not New Resolutions



"So roll up your sleeves, put your mind in gear, be totally ready to receive the gift that's coming when Jesus arrives. Don't lazily slip back into those old grooves of evil, doing just what you feel like doing. You didn't know any better then; you do now. As obedient children, let yourselves be pulled into a way of life shaped by God's life, a life energetic and blazing with holiness. God said, "I am holy; you be holy.”
1 Peter 1:13-16 (MSG)

This is the week of New Year's resolutions. Have you made any? I have. I do every year.

In the past I have resolved to lose weight, keep my house clean, follow a budget, read the Bible in a year, and on and on the list could go. And each of these resolutions I broke within a month, maybe two if I was being really strict.

I tend to go all or nothing with things. Either I am 100% committed and completely disciplined or I am a complete slacker and quit before I ever get started. Often when we miss a day or two with our new resolutions, we go ahead and quit. When we fail at not living up to a standard or a goal, we can sometimes feel discouraged and like it no longer matters what we do because we have already failed.

God asks us to be resolute in our decision to follow Him and to live a lifestyle after His heart. We will fail - we are only human - but the important thing is to get up and try again.

Our walks with God are too important to treat like throw away New Year's resolutions. When we trip along the path, we must pick ourselves up and starting walking again.

God wants us to live " an energetic life blazing with holiness". We can't live that kind of life if we quit with the first obstacle we face in the road.

Scripture

Quote of the Day
Year's end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us.
Hal Borland

Question of the Day

What is one thing you can start today which will impact your life by this time next year? 

No comments:

Post a Comment