Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Kicking the Summer Heat...





Did you ever avoid admitting you shattered a vase or busted a window?
Did you ever hide a messy room?
Did you ever lie to try and fix a broken situation?

As much as we want to hide our mistakes, the lies and the deception can eat at us like a disease, crippling us until we can no longer walk and to quote a co-worker "kill us with pin pricks".

When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long.
For day and night your hand was heavy on me;
my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer.
Psalm 32: 3-4

The psalmist has the description of how a lie or a sin affects our whole person. "My strength was sapped as in the heat of summer." Although it is hard to imagine the middle of winter, the feeling of July heat with 100% humidity and not a cloud in the sky is quite distressing. Your body is weak and you do not have a desire to do anything, but lie around in an air conditioned room and pray for rain. When we live in a lie, when we allow its suffocating nature to consume our beings, we are drained of the life and the joy which typically fills our soul. The lie or the sin pushes out the joy and takes up residence in your house.

But just like rain on the parched gound in the summer breaks a devesating drought, confession of our sin to the Lord returns the joy to our souls and salvation to our spirits.
Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD.”
And you forgave the guilt of my sin.
Psalm 32: 5
We cannot hide our sin from God. He knows everything. Hiding our sin, our lies, our deviousness, only hurts ourselves. Releasing our sin to God, seeking His forgiveness, gives us new life and a boldness which can only be found in a relationship with our Savior.
We all sin.

But we have choice to wallow in the heat and the muck, allowing that sin to drag us down or we can turn to God and seek His grace-filled rain on our parched souls. His renewing water will refresh our spirits and allow us to rejoice in the Lord and all of His goodness.

Even in the midst of winter, I still do not want the devestating heat of summer.

How about you?
Scripture

Quote of the Day
“Sin is not hurtful because it is forbidden, but it is forbidden because it is hurtful”
Benjamin Franklin

Question of the Day

What have you tried to hide in your life?

GUMY is back - this SUNDAY, January 15th.
GUMY Prep - 5PM
Dinner - 5:45PM
GUMY JR - 6:15 PM
If you are an adult who reads this blog, please join us at 6:30 at the church to participate in a unique activity...

Questions? please drop me a line - courtneyhilbert@aol.com


No comments:

Post a Comment