Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fear Not...And Let God Lead



I hate spiders.

When I was eleven or twelve, I was in the basement of my parents' house watching TV on the couch and I felt something on my head. I lifted my hand and pulled a couple spiders off of my head. They had dropped from the ceiling and were crawling on me! Screaming, I ran up the stairs trying to shake the spiders off of me. To this day, if a spider is above my eye level, I cannot reach up to kill it for fear of it dropping on me.

Fear is often a learned behavior. Prior to the spider dropping incident, I wasn't fond of spiders, but I wasn't afraid of them. When the spiders invaded my sense of peace, they created a sense of panic and fear, one which I still haven't been able to outgrow.

Fear is created when our sense of calm is disrupted. A fear of heights might develop the first time you swing high on a swing or a fear of fire might develop because you touched a hot stove. Fears come frome a variety of places, but they all have a root cause and they have a common cure.

For I am the LORD your God
who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.
Isaiah 41:13

We are to "fear not", because the LORD is always with us. We are called to trust in the LORD. We are to trust Him that He will be there for us in all situations. He will help. He will lead us through our fear and back to our peace.

He will take you by the "right hand" and help you. About 90% of the world's population is right handed, which means that when the majority of the world sets out to fix a problem or run away in fear, they start with their right hand. By God taking the right hand, He is taking the lead. We no longer have to be afraid because God will be the shield to protect us and the guide through the troublesome waters.

What is your fear?

You are not alone - - what ever you fear God is with you and He will guide you back to your peace.

Scripture
Isaiah 41:12-14

Quote of the Day
“So I'm happy tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!”
Martin Luter King, Jr.

Question of the Day
What fear can you ask God to walk you through?
GUMY Christmas is THIS SUNDAY December 4th @ 4PM - - Please bring friends and a giving attitude!!! (OH! And your prettiest singing voices too!!!!)





No comments:

Post a Comment