Friday, November 18, 2011

Who is your #1 Hero?






















Who is your favorite movie star? or athlete? or politician? or famous for being famous person?

Do you have one?

When I was in High School I had two: Andre Agassi - the tennis icon and Harry Connick Jr. the singer/songwriter/actor.

I knew everything there was to know about these two men. I knew their birthdays; where they lived; what they liked to eat; who their families were...And I knew all of this before the internet was even a gleam in Al Gore's mind. I knew all of details about these two men because I admired them and I was infatuated with them.

When we are a fan of someone, we know the in's and the out's of that person. The life of our hero becomes a priority in our own lives. We carve out time to read news articles or gossip magazines or biographies about the icon.

How would you feel if you came face to face with your living hero?

If we were face to face with our earthly heroes, we would likely feel tongue-tied and awash in nerves, but we would be facing human beings not too different from ourselves. They might have nicer cars or fancier homes, but they are all just people.
“Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty.”
Isaiah 6:5

Isaiah was brought into the presence of God - the LORD - the Creator of the entire universe. Isaiah had been studying about the LORD and serving Him tirelessly his entire life and now he is standing before the LORD in His house. Isaiah felt unworthy and unable to speak in God's presence.

If you spent the same time researching God and studying His ways as you spend focused on Taylor Lautner or Taylor Swift or Tom Brady or Maria Sharapova how much more would you know about God? How much more in awe of Him would you become? How much more would you want to know about Him? How much more would you want to serve Him?

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”
Isaiah 6:8

Having heroes isn't a bad thing...but check yourself and see who is your number one hero? The answer to that question will determine Whose you will be for eternity.

Scripture

Quote of the Day

“Celebrity-worship and hero-worship should not be confused. Yet we confuse them every day, and by doing so we come dangerously close to depriving ourselves of all real models. We lose sight of the men and women who do not simply seem great because they are famous but are famous because they are great. We come closer and closer to degrading all fame into notoriety.”
Daniel J. Boorstin

Question of the Day

Who is your favorite celebrity and why?

Don't forget GUMY this weekend...
5PM Prep
5:45 Dinner
6:15 JR/SR
Bring a friend!



No comments:

Post a Comment